Spring Turkey season is open, so Nathan had to work yesterday and today. I had been wanting to go to Shadehill, the reservoir we love to camp, fish, and go hunting at which is 100 miles East of here. The water is the highest it's ever been and I had only gotten to see pictures, not the real deal, so at noon today we took off for Shadehill. I got the cooler packed with everything we needed for a picnic, and Nathan got the Explorer loaded to go. We love camping but decided that with a new baby coming, and a busy summer of weddings, along with our garden we are going to try to plant, horses to ride, and visitors, we are taking this summer off from camping. We also don't have a camper, and we some how always pick the weekends that it storms, so I don't feel like putting my newborn inside a bathroom shelter with strangers at midnight! We've been there, done that route, and needless to say will be purchasing a pop up camper within the next year or two! Anyway, Shadehill has a place in our hearts, and I was SO excited to have our romantic picnic together...and then there was the water...over the road blocking the way to Shadehill! I was very hungry at this point, and very disappointed, but we did take our chance and drove across the water that was crossing the road! We both puckered up a bit and let a sigh of relief out when we were crossed! Needless to say down the road and into the park a little ways the water was way to high to cross and we had to turn around! SO, off we went to the camping area along the highway, pulled out our little grill and had our little picnic! I had thought of everything, but had forgot one thing...plates! Good thing we had finger food and a sense of humor, because now that's the big joke! All in all, a wonderful meal in the campground, and we'll never forget how simple little things, such as our picnic, touches our hearts and shapes us into the couple we are.
After our picnic and looking at ALL the water that has done a lot of damage, we headed North to Lemmon. I was in the mood for ice cream, so we stopped quick for ice cream and then headed back West! We got home around 5:30 and needed to go check cows. Nathan goes North while I go South, then we meet up and discuss how many new calves, how things went, etc...Well tonight it was beautiful out besides the wind, so I took my camera with. As I got up to the top of the biggest butte on my four wheeler I see Nathan on his little motorcycle waving at me, so I waved back! Little did I know, we had a cow down with her baby's head hanging out of her. Not the site I needed to see. Anyway, the calf was dead already, but we needed to get her to the barn to pull it. Knowing that I'm 11 days away from having our baby, I'm not much help in the sense of muscle or quickness right now, so Nathan called over to Painter's hired men and they headed over while I tried pushing the cow to the barn. After a long haul of getting her into the barn, it took 3 grown men to get this huge heifer calf pulled out of her. A dead calf, but a live cow.
Here's the view from the top of the butte I was on. You can see we are still melting snow, but spring is in the air! This is looking North to our house with a handful of cows grazing. After all of that excitement, we took our nightly walk, now that it's nice out, down the road with the girls. They get to run, swim, and chase birds while we enjoy beautiful sunsets and talks together.
Once again, it's the simple things in life that make us so happy. Baby calves running around, waterfowl flying, and the new green green poking through...just a few of God's creations that we are so blessed with. We hope this finds everyone enjoying their family and the nice weather together.
No comments:
Post a Comment