Friday, November 14, 2008

Shake Your Tail Feather






Look at those tail feathers! Measuring in at 26 inches! Our longest ones before were 22" and these make those look little! The girls were just begging to play with it!


Yesterday Nathan had the day off, and since the sun was out, the snow was melting, and the wind wasn't blowing too hard, we needed to get things done that were supposed to be done BEFORE the blizzard hit last week. I think we had a bit of cabin fever too, because the second we got outside, we wanted to hunt! haha.


We took a nice walk around the house with the girls. I took Jade with me, and Nathan took Libby. Nathan sent me down South of a tree belt to block with Jade, and boy did we have those birds figured out..finally! Now, if only I was watching a little better, I would've had a bird or two. Geez! It's always fun to watch the girls work, Jade did amazing yesterday.


After walking that tree belt, we walked along the sticky and muddy creek. Both girls worked really good, and enjoyed sliding all over the frozen creek bottom. We just stood back and laughed, they are so funny to watch. We thought since we were that far out, to go walk some more trees. I was getting tired at this point, the snow in spots was deep and that chilly wind was getting the best of me so I sent Nathan with the girls. Libby got birdy fast, and then Jade caught scent. All of a sudden little Libby almost has a rooster in her mouth, she is so quick and light on that snow, she had no problem finding the pheasant. I can't wait to get a camcorder, because it was so neat to watch from distance. Libby flushed it, or jumped on it, Nathan shot, and Jade retrieved, partially. We think that if not for Libby running out and trying to retrieve it with Jade, she would've brought it right to Nathan. Anyway, when Nathan held it up I screamed and cheered so loud because those tail feathers were so long, and the bird was big and beautiful! We called it a day and walked on home.


I wanted pictures, and we wanted to get the feathers measured. Well Jade had a different idea, that was HER bird, and no one was to touch it! We've never heard a dog growl and put her hair up over a bird! We finally had to get after her, because she was being so mean to Libby. Poor Libby just looked sad, and she was the one who flushed it!

So after pictures, and cleaning it, Nathan got the dummy out and put the wings on the dummy so the girls could retrieve. Since the days are so short, we played with the girls for awhile and then started getting things done. All in all, it was a fun few hours spent outside with the girlies! This morning we woke up LOTS of wind, and a dusting of snow.


On Sunday or Monday my mom and uncle Tim are coming up. Mom to visit, and Uncle Tim to hunt his rifle mule deer! Who knows, maybe we WILL get mom out there too..haha. On Sunday I am going to a Christmas Fair, and on Tuesday we have a doctors appt in Spearfish at 4:30. I am now 4 months pregnant, and everything is going good still! The newest thing is that my belly is starting to poke out a bit, which is making it more real every day. In 4 weeks we get to see the 20 week ultrasound, and even though we aren't finding out what we're having, a lot has changed since our 9 week ultrasound!


Hopefully everyone is keeping warm, seems like our Fall is done for now!

No comments: