Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wagner Update

Well I wish I had new pictures to add, but this week I don't!
We had our Dr. appt last Monday, the 20th, and it went okay. We got to meet our 2nd OB and she was pretty concerned about my high blood pressure at a young age, and set up an appt in Rapid on Thursday. We weren't too happy, but after getting to hear the heartbeat again, it made our day! The heartbeat was at 160 beats/minute and I'll be 14 weeks on Thursday!
Nathan stayed in the Hills to Elk hunt from Mon-Thursday. They saw quite a few, and if they would've had a Bull tag, they probably would've had success. But since both guys had cow tags, they didn't get one. The tag opens back up in December, so Nathan is hoping to get back out then.
I met Nathan early Thursday morning so that we could go to the hospital in Rapid to have my appt. We got there, it took an hour from start to finish, and so far no news. I think that if something was wrong, they would've called by now.
Friday was supposed to be a day for me to catch up on things, but that didn't happen! I don't even really know where Friday went, it just was here and gone!
I did take Jade out pheasant hunting with me Friday afternoon. Oh what a time we had! We started out East of the house, walking through some taller grass. Well, Jade loves to heel up all the time, and so I finally got her to leave my side and I see that she caught scent. So I took my gun off safe and got ready...and all of a sudden I hear the worst growling snarling sound ever! So I start yelling at Jade "no bird no bird" and then I see it...Jade and a Coon rolling and rolling and rolling. Well Nathan scared me last year by telling me that a big grown coon could kill a dog, so I am always scared for the girls to get in a fight with one now! So you can about imagine how bad I was screaming! Anyway, I finally got the guts up to get closer, and the coon saw me and ran to the fencepost a few foot away, and ran to the top of it. So...before I knew it, I had shot and it was a dead coon! So that was the start! Then, we walked some more trees, and found nothing, so I had seen 2 grouse in the distance fly to a spot, so I thought we'd go that direction. Well, there has been a buffalo calf out for weeks. We put it in over and over, and the stinker gets out. Well, like I said, usually Jade heels up until you beg her to go, and this night, she took after the calf! It was not good...I was screaming at her once again, and after her chasing this calf, it got so mad, snorted and pounded her into the ground with his tough little head and then kicked her! I just laughed, called her over to me, and then beat her! She was a hurting unit, but I was glad that calf hurt her! She got over it fast, and on our way back to the house after NOT getting those grouse, she looked at the calf, looked at me, and cowered down. I think she got the point! haha...SO, Jade and I had a nice walk, and I ended up getting one of those pesky coons!
Saturday got here, we slept in for the first time in a long time, and since we're in between antelope and deer, it felt great to not have to worry about hunters! We decided to take the day to pheasant hunt and went NE of Buffalo. I was surprised at the number of people out, since Harding County isn't known for great pheasant hunting, but a lot of Rapid City/Sturgis people out and about. We walked a few spots, and Nathan got the first bird. Libby had her A game going, and Jade did okay. Libby flushed the bird, Nathan shot, and Jade retrieved, so I guess they had a good system! I was on the other side of the draw cheering them on and waiting for MY turn to come! We drove to another spot, found a friend of ours also out hunting, and he took us to some prime spots to hunt! The wind had really picked up, and a front was moving through, but we still tried hard! Nathan ended up with 2 birds, Justin with 2 birds, and me with none. It just felt good to get out and watch the girls work, and getting a few shots and birds didn't hurt either! We were definatly tuckered out, from the wind, walking, and the cold. It sure took me awhile, I got pretty chilled and was ready to be in the warm house.
Today has been the day to play catch up! Nathan went out and helped skin out another buffalo, this time a cow, and I stayed in to get housework done. The wind is insane, and I heard there were some gusts measured over 60 mph!
Tomorrow is the dreaded Monday. We are leaving on Friday to go to the Hills for the weekend. Nathan has to work Black Hills Deer hunters and since the state is getting him a hotel room, I'm driving seperate so I can go shopping while he is working, and then we'll stay over night Friday and Saturday! It should work out good!
The next visitor we'll be having is my Uncle Tim the week before Thanksgiving. He will be here to hunt rifle mule deer! We don't have all the details worked out yet, but we're excited to have him come stay and to get a deer. With the weather this chilly, and having snow a few weeks ago already, it feels like Thanksgiving should be closer than it is, either that or I'm just excited for my family to come visit! :)
Have a good week!

No comments: